Newsletter & Helpful Links
Learning in the Bay Area:
There are innumerable places to learn about sewing and costumes in the Bay Area. Large chain stores such as JoAnn Fabric and Crafts and Hancock Fabrics offer very basic classes at most of their locations. Even better, local quilting supply shops and sewing machine repair stores often offer small classes with expert instructors and one-on-one support.
For more specialized or in-depth education, we highly recommend:
- The College of Alameda, Apparel Design & Merchandising Department: Accepts full time students as well as those just interested in taking a class or two.
- Cañada College Fashion Department: Another excellent local community college.
- The TechShop: Locations in Menlo Park, San Francisco and San Jose. Learn to use and rent time on amazing machines including embroidery machines, industrial sewing machines, massive free motion quilting machines, laser cutters and 3D printers. Cutting edge classes in such areas as silkscreening, vacuum forming, and electroluminescent wire.
- Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics, Berkeley
- Lacis Museum of Lace and Textiles, Berkeley