Bal di Carnivale
Saturday, February 8, 2014 - 6:00pm to midnight
Hotel Sainte Claire, 302 South Market Street, San Jose, CA
Revelry and mystery await you in 18th century Venice. The Greater Bay Area Costumers Guild invites you to the historic Sainte Claire Hotel for an evening to delight the senses, including a decadent Italian dinner, acrobalance and dance by the Dolls of Doom, luxurious costumes, gambling, dancing and so much more.
Costume: One of the beauties of Carnivale is its democratic spirit – lords and ladies consort with the working class and poor, and everyone in between. Please wear 18th century dress, of any class, or 18th century fancy dress. Masks required!
Menu: Our five-course Italian dinner by Il Fornaio begins with passed hors d'oeuvres and an open bar. (The bar switches to no-host after cocktail hour).
Following this, served family style we'll have Risotto ai Funghi (Italian carnaroli rice with wild mushrooms, white wine, shallots, and parmesan) and Penne alla Vodka (pasta tubes, vodka-tomato-cream sauce, applewood smoked bacon and parmesan).
The salad course will feature Insalata Caprese (sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, kalamata olives, basil and basil-olive oil).
For an entree, you have a choice of one of the following:
- Pollo Valdostana (de-boned and pounded chicken breast, rolled with thinly sliced ham and fontina cheese, dipped in breadcrumbs, cooked and finished with chicken demiglace, trebbiano wine, fried sage leaves, and dijon, served with roasted potatoes and seasonal vegetables
- Tagliata Chianina (New York steak, mesquite grilled medium-rare and sliced, served with balsamic vinegar and green peppercorn sauce, seasonal vegetables, and roasted potatoes)
- Crespelle (stuffed crepes with mushrooms, ricotta cheese and spinach, garlic, bechamel sauce, chopped tomatoes and basil) Pinot Grigio and Chianti will be served with dinner. For dessert, there will be Zabaion (peach bellini sorbetto with zabaion, fresh berries and whipped cream, garnished with Italian biscotti) as well as coffee and tea.
- Our organizational Pinterest board for this event.
- Wikipedia's take on the Venetian Carnival
- GBACG’s own Trystan Bass writes about Carnivale masks, with great links and resources at the end.
- Kendra blogs about making all kinds of 18th century garments. You can also buy wigs from her.
- American Duchess blogs about making 18th century costumes (and more), AND sells accurate period shoes.
Location, Directions & Parking:
Valet parking is available at the hotel for $15 a car. There are several city and private parking lots nearby, for various rates. Please consult this San Jose Parking Map for other options. If you zoom in, you'll find the Sainte Claire at the corner of South Market and East San Carlos.
In addition, San Jose light rail stops very close by; use the Convention Center stop.
Though overnight accomodations are not included in your ticket price, we have reserved a block of rooms at the Sainte Claire hotel at a special rate for those who wish to stay the night. To receive the discount, you must book your room by January 25, 2014. You can call the hotel directly at 408-295-2000 and ask for the Greater Bay Area Costumers Guild rate. Or you may also get our discount by using this link to book online. Questions? Contact For more information, please contact Catherine Scholar at .
Ticket sales for this event are now closed.
Buy a GBACG Membership (purchase separately first) and save on ticket costs by getting the member price!
You must be a GBACG member* to receive the member price. (*Or a member of one of our Sister Organizations: Costumer's Guild West, Art Deco Society of California or Somewhere in Time, Unlimited.) If you are a member and are purchasing several tickets for yourself and friends who are not members, then only you are entitled to the member price. You must pay the non-member price for your friends.
Tickets to GBACG events are not refundable, but are transferable. If you've purchased a ticket to a GBACG activity and are unable to attend, you may sell your ticket to someone else, but GBACG does not make refunds.
Questions? Email Catherine Scholar, Event Coordinator, at .
Back to GBACG Home